I started a discussion on www.glutenfreefaces.com asking about the pet peeves of Celiacs.
Here are my favourites:
- I was just diagnosed 3 months ago, but so far my “favorite” response was, “don’t worry honey, you will grow out of it”!
2. I hate when you go to a restaurant and order all gluten free meals and then they still bring you their delicious breadsticks…I don’t want gluten in my food – Why would I want to eat a Stick-o-Gluten?
3. “Don’t you have an epi-pen or a shot you can take if you get gluten?” That’s my favorite. That and the look of shock on their face when I tell them it isn’t an allergy, it’s an auto-immune disorder. There’s nothing we can take to fix it.
4. I don’t know that its a pet peeve, but more of just not understanding….Food items have to have “Contains Wheat” on the label if it contains wheat…Why does it not say barely and rye as well? Or just “Contains Gluten?” I was under the assumption that the “Contains Wheat” label was for people with Gluten issues.
5. A box of food that says “gluten free” in huge letters, but when you read the ingredients it says “processed in a place that also processes WHEAT”….so is it gluten free or not? I don’t even want to try it.
6. The “Oh, that’s terrible!” reaction. My response-“actually, no it’s not.”
I thought you might be interested in reading these because so many of us share the same frustrations.
If you would like to check out the entire discussion, you can find it at http://ning.it/aMH2io