The Chef: Aylene Lambert (Natural Gourmet Institute, New York)
The inspiration for Aylene Lambert’s recipe came from a banana curry she had after a long day’s hike in England. It nourished her when she was tired, achy, and hungry and provided her with an abundance of energy for the next day’s hike.
Sweet and Spicy Carrot Bisque
Serves 4 Vegan Gluten free
1 Tbs. canola oil
1 medium yellow onion, diced (1 cup)
2 Tbs. minced fresh ginger
1 Tbs. curry powder
Pinch cayenne pepper
4 large carrots, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch rounds (4 cups)
1 ripe banana, peeled and sliced (1 cup)
1 tsp. salt
1 13.5-oz. can light coconut milk, divided
2 1/2 Tbs. lime juice
1. Heat oil in large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion, and pinch of salt, and sauté 5 minutes, or until onion is soft. Stir in ginger, and cook 1 to 2 minutes, or until fragrant. Add curry powder, cayenne, and 1/4 cup water. Cook 1 to 2 minutes, stirring to coat onion and ginger with curry powder.
2. Add carrots, banana, salt, and 4 cups water, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer, uncovered, 25 minutes, or until carrots are soft enough to be pierced with fork.
3. Puree soup in batches in blender or food processor. Return soup to pot, and stir in 1 cup coconut milk and lime juice.
4. Simmer remaining 3/4 cup coconut milk in small saucepan over medium-high heat 10 minutes, or until reduced by half.
5. Ladle soup in bowls and swirl each serving with coconut milk reduction.